8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos by Vivian Vande Velde. Illustrated by Steve Björkman. Humor/ Fantasy.
When a squirrel, being chased by a dog, becomes trapped in the elementary school, there are chaotic consequences as all of the class pets team up to help him escape.
Themes/Content: Animals, class pets, teamwork, perspective (character), voice (character), alliteration, poetry, art,
Recommended for: Grades 4 and up; read aloud, teaching perspective, teaching voice, any teacher who has a classroom pet, animal lovers, beginning chapter-book readers, fictional tie-in when studying animal behavior
My Two Cents: I decided I needed to review something for the younger crowd and this book will surely please our fourth graders. Vande Velde crafts a hilarious story and commotion ensues as each critter adds to the tale . Not only does she expertly capture the point of view, but each pet’s voice is based on that animals behavior in nature. Björkman’s black and white illustrations are scattered throughout.
This book would make a great beginning of the year read aloud. It would be even more effective if you are able to read the characters in different voices. Your students will laugh out loud at the crazy antics of the animals and there is just a little twist at the end that will give them one more smile.
Similar/Paired Books from EHUE Library:
- Birney, Betty G. Friendship according to Humphrey. New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2005. Print.
- Caudill, Rebecca. A pocketful of Cricket. New York: Henry Holt, 2004. Print.
- George, Jean C. How to talk to your dog. New York: HarperCollins, 2000. Print.
- Hatkoff, Isabella, Craig Hatkoff, and P Kahumbu. Owen & Mzee : the true story of a remarkable friendship. New York: Scholastic Press, 2006. Print.
- Hollander, John. Animal poems. New York: Sterling, 2004. Print.
- Jenkins, Steve, and Robin Page. How to clean a hippopotamus : a look at unusual animal partnerships. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, 2010. Print.
- Judge, Lita. Bird talk : what birds are saying and why. New York: Roaring Brook Press, 2012. Print.
Favorite Quote: (Spoken by the school of neon tetras) “We’re in a school. We’re in a school in a school. We are tickled by that idea.” (Vande Velde, Vivian. 8 class pets + 1 squirrel ÷ 1 dog = chaos. New York: Holiday House, 2012. 23. Print.)
The Final Word(s): A clever and fun read aloud! 🙂